(office based: location determined on successful candidate's location)- choices are Birmingham, Cardiff, Crawley, Manchester, Glasgow, Farringdon, Bristol or Leeds.
This national Security provider is seeking a Commercial Manager to support their Commercial Director in leading the review, development and implementation of all business management systems and procedures to ensure they enable the business to proactively manage the risks that it accepts through its contracts.
This is a new role designed to allow the Commercial Director to be more field based and spend time with Customers and the team
What are they offering?
A basic salary up to £45K is on offer dependant on your experience. Other parts of the package are:
- Comprehensive Benefits package including private healthcare, life assurance and pension
- Growing+ ambitious company/group: creating numerous career opportunities
- Team based environment with an organisation that invests in its people.
- 25 days holiday + BH, personal injury, employee assistance programme
What are they asking for?
They need someone who is a confident and structured professional who is particularly strong in terms of finance and dealing with cost modelling and assessing risk.
- Commercial or Business Development roles with a service led environment
- or previous experience in leading a business unit or function/department with budget/P&L accountability
You will be a strong communicator: part of your role will be to develop relationships across the organisation making commercial decisions on opportunities that your colleagues may present (the ability to sometimes say "no") - this will involve tact and diplomacy
A very strong competency of/aptitude for Excel will be needed need to be able to devise and write reports: to be able to present and link cost models, and sometimes present these in internal and client meetings along with commentary and analysis. (any knowledge of Excel "vertical look ups", pivot tables, or SUM IFs" would be the sort of level eventually required)
An understanding of the numbers behind the finances of a contract are important- you should know how to add a percentage increase to a list of pay-rates and work out what a charge should be if there is a targeted margin % but costs have gone up by so many £s
A similar background in FM/Security or people based service providers would be advantageous as would a financial qualification or experience in a commercial/financial environment -(but not necessary)
To enabling the company to demonstrate the effectiveness of its approach to existing and potential clients, and deliver benefits to these clients through review, development and implementation of all business management systems and procedures.
Business Management Systems
- To identify current and potential Unique Selling Propositions in order to drive the achievement of strategic business objectives
- To understand and review existing business support systems, the interaction/interface between them and the value they add
- To develop creative commercial proposals, which support customer retention and new business targets
- To prepare detailed management system definition, project and implementation plans in order to achieve agreement from the Senior Management Team and successfully take any proposals through the approval process
- To work closely with the Commercial Director, IT and other stakeholders to oversee the implementation of these systems within constraints of time, cost, resource availability and quality
- Review and sign off of cost model proposals for new business and reviews / price increases
- Ongoing maintenance and updating of a number of business-critical systems including the cost model, quote register, weekly and monthly sales reports and portfolio margin tracker
- To manage and maintain relationships with key suppliers to deliver its service, such as uniform and mobile phone contracts.
- To initiate and oversee the preparation of supplier proposals that contribute to an overall client proposal
- To lead negotiations with suppliers for the provision of services. Ensuring that contracts agreed with suppliers match any 'risk' contained in the main contract with clients.
- Identify and develop relationships with a range of 'partners' for subcontract relationships
- Play a key role in the bid / no bid decision making process, based on the commercial viability, risk profile and likelihood of success of new sales opportunities
- To assess any risks within contracts in order to allow informed decisions to be made regarding their management
- To prepare detailed plans for managing these risks, and agree them with Finance, Operations and the Business Development functions
- To prepare the internal business case for proposed contracts in order to achieve approval, against the following criteria: legal review, tender approval documentation, capex approval (if required), detailed risk analysis and management,
- To support in the final contract negotiations to achieve business objectives and support the management of commercial risk.
- To ensure that new business proposals and annual contract reviews are completed and agreed with the client in a timely manner, and that they provide a margin contribution that supports the continued growth and profitability of the company.
Key Search Terms: Commercial Manager Facilities Management Security Excel Cost Modelling
Palmer McCarthy is a specialist recruiter to the FM, Property + Security sectors and acts as an agency for their client on this vacancy.